Monday, April 21, 2008

My dad's brother, Preston Blair, passed away unexpectedly on Sunday morning.  I wasn't extremely close with him, but I do have a lot of fond memories of him and his family from my childhood. He leaves behind 4 children....Trista, Candace, Micheal, and Taija, and 3 grandchildren with one on the way.  Pres was a great father to his kids and he spent lots of time with his grandkids.   Since his death, I have been thinking quite a bit about a couple of things and this is the reason for my post.  1) I pray that I never have to experience losing a child.  Preston is the second son my grandparents have lost in the last 8 years.  I can only imagine the pain that they are feeling right now.  I hope to pass away long before my children do....they are such a blessing in my life and I don't know how I would handle losing one of them.  2)  Preston was 53 when he passed (only 1 year older than my dad)  and this really got me thinking that the time that I have with my dad, and my mom for that matter, is so important.  Both of them are pretty healthy and I pray that I won't be losing them any time soon.....but you never know.  This whole thing has just made me realize even more that I need to make the time that I have with them quality time.  And I never want them to have any doubt how much my kids, Spencer, and I love them.  

5 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so sad! I worry so much about losing a child, or Jake. I don't know how people survive that loss! I hope your cousins and aunt are doing okay. It is good to be reminded sometimes how fragile life is!

Mama Mia said...

Oh so sorry... I think death sometimes teaches us how blessed we are and how much we have to be thankful for! It is harder when people are taken unexpectedly.

KELL & RIV said...

Cass, I'm very sorry about your uncles passing, losing anyone in your family is very hard, even if your not as close to them. Anything I can do let me know....Love ya.

Sherry said...

Cass a lovely tribute to your uncle. I'm feeling so sad for your grand parents. I pray they can find some comfort knowing they raised a caring loving son, and that he was such a good father and grand father. I think we would all wish to be remembered as kind and loving.

Bethers said...

This is pretty sobering and just makes you realize how life can change in an instant...