Monday, August 31, 2009

Special Moments

I wanted to do something special for Ava before she started school. About this time last year I was reading nie nie dialogues and just had to steal her tradition and make it my own. ( I know, I know...... but I'm just not creative enough to think of this stuff on my own.) If you don't read Stephanie Nielson's blog, you should take a look here. I love it.
So this year I decided to have a Back to School Dinner. Our theme was Choose the Right. And I invited my parents over so that my dad could give Aves a blessing (Spence was out of town). I told Ava that now that she is getting bigger and going off to school, Mom won't always be there to help her make good decisions. We talked about what "choosing the right" means. I'm not quite sure how much of it she understood, but I hope at least one or two things sunk in!


On the Menu:
Pot Roast (one of Ava's favorites)
Corn on the cob
Green Salad (not so much her favorite, but a good healthy choice)
Chocolate cake (pretty much the only thing Ava ate)
Sparkling grape juice (she drank large amounts of this)

I also made Ava a CTR bracelet that she absolutely refused to wear.
But at least it made fun table decor!


Overall, I think things turned out really well! Later that night I asked Ava if she liked her special dinner and she said: "I liked the table cloth and the pretty decorations, but the fancy music you were playing was really weird."

(mental note: scratch the fancy music at next year's back to school dinner)

7 comments:

Audrey said...

Hey there Martha Stewart! The dinner looks fabulous! Hope everything is going well with you and your cute family! We miss you guys!

Hillary Vaughan said...

Wow I am impressed! What a cute idea! You are a good mom! I need to do more things like that to be @ ease for the school year!

The Nichols Family said...

What a great idea! I had never heard of doing a special dinner before your child starts their first day of school. Great job. I'm sure she learned more than even she knows.

The Johnson Fam said...

I love the bracelet idea...so creative and cute. Ava is lucky to have such an awesome mommmy that cares so much!

Carly said...

looks cute cass. you are a good mom.

Carly said...

looks cute cass. you are a good mom.

Baldwin Fam said...

That's adorable! What a fun idea. Yeah, who needs "weird music" anyway? :)